Last time I wrote was to show you where all the leaks were coming from and all the work Tony did with the angle grinder. We have done some work from there but admittedly not much.
Tony got up on top of the van and covered up the vent and sky light, with some plastic sheets and duct tape. This gave us a chance to see where the majority of the water was coming from, and it was definitely those two culprits. Since then the only water we have had in has been from a cracked back light.
So what is the good news I hear you say? Well we had a friend who is an excellant mechanic, Phil Vernon, come to have a look around the sprinter to tell us everything that needs doing. We braced ourselves for the absolute worst.
But….. it wasn’t bad! it wasn’t bad at all! The chassis is great, and the engine is good, just needs a few bits here and there. New glow plugs, handbrake adjustment, wheel bearing adjustment, New headlights and new rear light units.
There is obviously quite a bit of welding to be done all around the van and where the fan and sky light are at the moment (as they will be moved to a different place) and we are getting some of the doors and panels replaced. But we are so happy that we have got a good foundation to build on. We took it today for someone to look at all the welding that needs doing and feels great to be moving forward. That will hopefully be done some time in August. We now just need to source some doors and a front panel and then we’ll be cooking on gas.
What else have we been doing?
So Tony finished chipping off the old sound proofing that was on the cab floor, it was a long job chipping away at it with a scraper and hammer tiny piece by tiny piece at a time. But in the end Tony found a quicker and definitely tried and tested way of doing it…. Hit it really hard until if breaks off.
We had to remove this because we had no idea what was lurking underneath. On the drivers side there was quite a lot of surface rust, but actually the passengers side only had a couple of small spots to grind down.
We then cleaned up all the cab floor, including the steps and painted the places that had to be ground and the surrounding edges with a rust remedy. After that had dried after a couple of days we painted over it with red oxide, then finally Tony gave it a good covering with with Hammerite.
I have also had the lovely job of scraping the old carpet glue off both the door frames and the wheel arches. it is a job that is sticky and mucky! We used Citrus Tar & Glue remover, and sprayed that all over, then left it for 10 minutes or so to start dissolving the glue. On the back doors I used a scraper to try and get the sticky mess off. It did slowly but surely start to come off. But after reading another couples trials with the dreaded carpet glue (who unfortunately I now can’t find where I read it to tag them in) they had used a window blade scraper and wiped down with white spirits. So when I had a go at the side door, I sprayed it with the tar remover spray ( you need to do this alot, through out the removal process) used the window scraper until I couldn’t get any more off, then wipe down with white spirits, and repeat. I got a much better result doing it this way. The wheel arches where just as tough to clear, but we have 1 down 1 to go, and even once you’re done, they still look rubbish. Once we have them all cleaned off, its just a case of covering any exposed metal with red oxide and giving the whole van a good paint with Hammerite.
So thats what we have been up to so far. If anyone has any information on sourcing doors for a Mercedes Sprinter MK1 2002 plate in the UK please do get in touch.
Stay safe and stay well.
Kiera & Tony